Dear Lakeport Families and Staff,
At the regularly scheduled board meeting last night (August 2nd), the school board discussed the many issues that need to be addressed to safely open school for staff and students. Issues that were discussed are the following:
- Evacuation orders need to be lifted from our entire district
- Facilities need to be checked for safety conditions – electrical, water/sewer, etc.
- Bond construction projects need to be completed and cleaned (6th grade sidewalks and ramps, central kitchen completion)
- Buildings need to be cleaned both in the interior and exterior
- Air quality will need to be healthy outside and inside buildings
- Playgrounds and parking lots need to be cleaned
- Refrigeration units will need to be emptied, sanitized and food replaced
- Administrators and teachers need time to prepare for students
With all of these logistics necessary to open school, the district does not anticipate teachers returning before August 16th and students to begin school before August 22nd. It is possible students may start later. There is variability in the timing of all of the tasks getting completed, so I will send weekly updates to allow staff and families to get a better idea of the progression towards the opening day of school. Until all safety issues can be addressed, staff and students will not be allowed in offices or classrooms.
We will need to adjust the school calendar and will consult with the California Department of Education for guidance.
The district is committed to getting this year off to a safe start despite this fire. We have faith in our talented classified and certificated staff to deal with this adversity and still provide a quality education for our students this year.
April Leiferman, Superintendent