SPECIAL EDUCATION AND SERVICES
(Education Code 56031, 56040, 56301, 56321, 56343)
What is Special Education?
As defined by California Education code (section 56031), special education is:
Specially designed instruction to meet the unique needs of individuals with exceptional needs, whose educational needs cannot be met with modification of the general instruction program; and Related Services that help individuals with special needs to benefit from specially designed instruction. Special Education is an integral part of the total public education system. Other features of Special Education are:
- Services are provided in a way that promotes maximum interaction between students with and without disabilities in a manner which is appropriate to the needs of both.
- Services are provided at no cost to parents
- Services include a full range of program options to meet the educational and service requirements of individuals with exceptional needs in the least restrictive environment (LRE). The LRE is generally the setting that is most similar to those attended by general education students.
Who is Eligible for Special Education Services?
A student may be eligible for special education services as an individual with special needs in one or more of thirteen qualifying areas identified by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA 2004). These are:
- Hearing impairment (hard of hearing)
- Intellectual disability
- Multiple disabilities
- Orthopedic impairment
- Other health impairment
- Severe emotional disturbance
- Specific or language impairment
- Speech or language impairment
- Traumatic brain injury
- Visual impairment
Lakeport Unified School District currently supports a continuum of special education instructional settings and related services by licensed and credentialed staff for those students who qualify. These services include: Speech and Language Services, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Resource classroom setting, and Special Day Class setting.
If you have questions concerning Special Education Services, please contact the LUSD Special Education Office in one of the following ways:
Instructional Support Office
2508 Howard Ave.
Lakeport, CA 95453
Nicole Wells, Director: email@example.com